Thunder Bay National Marine Sanctuary


advisory council button

FacebookTwitterView Our Calendar

NOAAFriends GroupSign Up for Our Newsletter

Wooden Steam Barge
Historic Research Collection

Back to Shipwrecks

GPS Location: N45° 03.077’ W83° 26.052’
Depth: 11 Feet
Wreck Length:
146 Feet Beam: 30 Feet
Gross Tonnage:
403 Cargo: Lath
Launched: 1875 by Bower and Cash at St. Clair, Michigan
June 24, 1905
The Shamrock was built as the schooner barge John W. Hanaford and reconstructed as a steam lumber carrier in 1904.  It was bound from Midland, Ontario to Toledo with a cargo of lath when it encountered a furious gale on the open lake.  The ship sprung a leak and became waterlogged, but the lath cargo kept it afloat until it was beached at Black River, Michigan.  The abandoned vessel was later towed to Alpena by the steamer City of Holland and left a short distance from the mouth of the Thunder Bay River.  The machinery was later removed, but many interesting structural features can still be seen on the wreck. 



National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration

Revised July 31, 2017 by Contact Us | Web site owner - National Ocean Service
National Marine Sanctuary Program
| For Employees | User Survey
Friends of Thunder Bay National Marine Sanctuary
Many links leave the National Marine Sanctuary Web Site - please view our Link Disclaimer for more information
National Ocean Service | National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration | U.S. Department of Commerce | NOAA Library | Privacy Policy
Contact Us | /includes/footer.html

wreck coordinates Great Lakes Maritime Heritage Center