Thunder Bay National Marine Sanctuary







  Moorings 



advisory council button


FacebookTwitterView Our Calendar

NOAAFriends GroupSign Up for Our Newsletter

O.E. Parks
Steam Barge
Historic Research Collection

Back to Shipwrecks


GPS Location : N45°03.114' W83°10.527'
Depth: 62 Feet
Wreck Length: 134 Feet Beam: 28 Feet
Gross Tonnage: 393 Cargo: Pulpwood
Launched: 1891 by James Elliott in Saugatuck, Michigan
Wrecked: May 3, 1929
Description: The Parks departed Sault Ste. Marie bound for Alpena with a cargo of pulpwood when it encountered heavy seas and snow. When water began entering the hold an SOS was sent out and crew from the Thunder Bay Island Life Saving Station rescued all on board. The lower bilge survives from shaft log at the stern to the bow, with large rider keelsons and stanchion braces in place. The port side is removed to the south of the main wreckage. Two cylindrical metal drums, probable fuel tanks, are located astern of the wreck near a large metal hogging truss.



National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration

Revised July 31, 2017 by Contact Us | Web site owner - National Ocean Service
National Marine Sanctuary Program
| For Employees | User Survey
Friends of Thunder Bay National Marine Sanctuary
Many links leave the National Marine Sanctuary Web Site - please view our Link Disclaimer for more information
National Ocean Service | National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration | U.S. Department of Commerce | NOAA Library | Privacy Policy
Contact Us | http://sanctuaries.noaa.gov /includes/footer.html

wreck coordinates Great Lakes Maritime Heritage Center