James H. Hall
Wooden Two-Masted Schooner
Historic Research Collection
Back to Shipwrecks
GPS Location: N45°03.444' W83°25.764'
Depth: 6 Feet
Wreck Length: 91 Feet Beam: 22 Feet
Gross Tonnage: 100 Cargo: Lumber
Launched: 1885 by Hanson and Scove in Manitowoc, Wisconsin
Wrecked: November 6, 1916
Description: The Hall, with a cargo of 81,000 feet of hardwood lumber was attempting to enter Thunder Bay River when it swerved and ran into a stone crib on the south side of the river. The wreck was left in place until 1989 when a local historic preservation group refloated the historic craft to a safer location. The wreck currently rests in 7’ of water in front of the Alpena Yacht Club and consists of a lightly constructed lower bilge approximately 56’ in length. The bow is entirely absent, a result of earlier dredging operations.