Thunder Bay National Marine Sanctuary







  Moorings 



advisory council button


FacebookTwitterView Our Calendar

NOAAFriends GroupSign Up for Our Newsletter

Monohansett
Wooden Steam Barge
Historic Research Collection

Site Plan

Back to Shipwrecks


GPS Location: N45° 01.996’ W83° 11.988’
Depth: 18 Feet
Wreck Length: 160 Feet Beam: 30 Feet
Gross Tonnage: 572 Cargo: Coal
Launched: 1872 by Linn and Craig at Gibraltar, Michigan
Wrecked: November 23, 1907
Description: Built as the double-decked bulk freighter Ira H. Owen, the ship was rechristened Monohansett in 1882.  Ten years later, it was rebuilt as a single-decked lumber carrier.  On November 23, 1907, the ship burned to the water's edge at Thunder Bay Island.  Most of the crew lost their personal belongings and some suffered minor burns, but there was no loss of life because the ship was near the island’s Life Saving Station. Today, the Monohansett’s wreck lies in three sections.  The stern portion has hull features, propeller, and shaft all in place, and the boiler is nearby. 


Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player




Monohansett

MonohansettMonohansett

National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration

Revised February 13, 2013 by TBNMS Webmaster | Web site owner - National Ocean Service
National Marine Sanctuary Program
| For Employees
Friends of Thunder Bay National Marine Sanctuary
indicates a link leaves the site. Please view our Link Disclaimer for more information
National Ocean Service | National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration | NOAA Library | Privacy Policy
Contact Us | http://sanctuaries.noaa.gov /shipwrecks/monohansett.html


wreck coordinates Great Lakes Maritime Heritage Center