Thunder Bay National Marine Sanctuary







  Moorings 



advisory council button


FacebookTwitterView Our Calendar

NOAAFriends GroupSign Up for Our Newsletter

Reindeer
Wooden Two-Masted Schooner
Historic Research Collection

Back to Shipwrecks


GPS Location: N45°24.620' W83°45.986'
Depth: 16 Feet
Wreck Length: 138 Feet Beam: 26 Feet
Gross Tonnage: 305
Launched: 1860 by John Oades in Clayton, New York
Wrecked: October 6, 1895
Description: The schooner Reindeer went ashore near Crawford’s Quarry, now Rogers City, and became a total wreck in October 1895. Two sister keelsons are located on either side of the central keelson and centerboard pocket piece. Heavy ceiling covers the double framed hull, with quadruple frame sets at the forward and after ends of the centerboard trunk. Wire rigging is located across the bottom section and in nearby sediment.


National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration

Revised July 31, 2017 by Contact Us | Web site owner - National Ocean Service
National Marine Sanctuary Program
| For Employees | User Survey
Friends of Thunder Bay National Marine Sanctuary
Many links leave the National Marine Sanctuary Web Site - please view our Link Disclaimer for more information
National Ocean Service | National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration | U.S. Department of Commerce | NOAA Library | Privacy Policy
Contact Us | http://sanctuaries.noaa.gov /includes/footer.html

wreck coordinates Great Lakes Maritime Heritage Center