Maritime Heritage header graphic

FacebookTwitterView Our Calendar

NOAAFriends GroupSign Up for Our Newsletter

HAVRE

The two-masted schooner HAVRE was built in Richmond, Ohio in 1836 by Jared Lockwood. The vessel was named for the fledgling port of Havre, Michigan (just north of present-day Toledo, Ohio), which is no longer in existence. The HAVRE was initially enrolled at Buffalo, New York on August 31, 1836 with the following dimensions: 80'2" x 23'3" x 8'4" and 134 89/95 gross tons. The original owners were Lewis D. Allen, Augustus H. Scoville, and Thadeus Brooks, all of Buffalo, and Jared Lockwood and W. Reed of Richmond, Ohio. Brooks served as master, and the home port was Buffalo. Because the vessel was enrolled, rather than registered, it was occupied with domestic rather than international trade.

Interestingly, the original enrollment describes the vessel as having a "scroll" head, a decorative piece above the stem that was not in universal usage, even during this early period of lakes navigation. In her enrollment of May 5, 1845, the vessel is described as having a "figurehead." The later enrollment therefore indicates a somewhat more elaborate decorative piece than the scroll head at a time when the use of both scroll and figureheads was becoming much less common.

The vessel remained enrolled at Buffalo until sold to J.M. Goodman and reenrolled at Cleveland, Ohio on April 16, 1838. Thadeus Brooks remained master. The vessel changed hands several times over the next few years, but remained busy in the passenger and freight trade. A notice in the Cleveland Herald on November 2, 1840, gives some idea of the type of service the HAVRE was involved in:

FOR LAKE MICHIGAN--The superior fast sailing schooner HAVRE, J.A. Thomas master, 150 tons burden, will sail from Cleveland on the 10th inst., for the Upper Lakes, touching at Mackinaw, Milwaukee, St. Josephs, and Chicago. For freight or passage apply to C. Deming & Co., near the Float Bridge, or D. Bronson & Co., foot of Light House street on the dock.

The last enrollment for the HAVRE was issued on May 5, 1845 at Detroit, Michigan. The new owner and master was Edgar R. Hugunin of South Port in the Wisconsin Territory. The HAVRE went ashore on Middle Island, Lake Huron on November 2, 1845 after nearly ten years in the upper lakes trade. Captain Fosdick was in command. The vessel, valued at $5,000, was declared a total loss. The remains of the HAVRE have not been located.

 

National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration

Revised July 31, 2017 by Contact Us | Web site owner - National Ocean Service
National Marine Sanctuary Program
| For Employees | User Survey
Friends of Thunder Bay National Marine Sanctuary
Many links leave the National Marine Sanctuary Web Site - please view our Link Disclaimer for more information
National Ocean Service | National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration | U.S. Department of Commerce | NOAA Library | Privacy Policy
Contact Us | http://sanctuaries.noaa.gov /includes/footer.html