Thunder Bay National Marine Sanctuary







  Moorings 



advisory council button


FacebookTwitterView Our Calendar

NOAAFriends GroupSign Up for Our Newsletter

New Orleans
Wooden Side Wheel Steamboat
Historic Research Collection

Back to Shipwrecks


GPS Location : N45° 02.579’ W83° 14.425’
Depth: 15 Feet
Wreck Length: 130 Feet Beam: 27 Feet
Gross Tonnage: 610 Cargo: Passengers and freight
Launched: 1838 by B.F. Goodsell at Detroit, Michigan
Wrecked: June 14, 1849
Description: The New Orleans was originally called Vermillion, but it was rebuilt and renamed New Orleans after a disastrous fire in 1842; it was also lengthened from 131 to 165 feet at the time.  During the night of June 13,1849 it was steaming North on Lake Huron when it ran into a heavy fog off Thunder Bay.  Early on the 14th, it strayed from its route and ran onto a reef at Sugar Island.  Her passengers were transferred safely to Thunder Bay Island by local fishermen, and later picked up by a passing steamer. Strong winds and waves destroyed the stranded vessel a few days later. 


New OrleansNew Orleans

National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration

Revised February 13, 2013 by TBNMS Webmaster | Web site owner - National Ocean Service
National Marine Sanctuary Program
| For Employees
Friends of Thunder Bay National Marine Sanctuary
indicates a link leaves the site. Please view our Link Disclaimer for more information
National Ocean Service | National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration | NOAA Library | Privacy Policy
Contact Us | http://sanctuaries.noaa.gov /shipwrecks/neworleans.html


wreck coordinates Great Lakes Maritime Heritage Center