Great Lakes Maritime
Map of our location
Open All Year - Free Admission
Summer hours: 9:00 am - 5:00 pm, Monday through Sunday
Summer hours start on Saturday of Memorial Day weekend
Extended evening hours in July & August - open until 7:00 pm
Winter hours: 10:00 am - 5:00 pm, Monday through Saturday, 12 noon - 5:00 pm Sunday
Winter hours start the second Monday in October
The Visitor Center exhibits are occasionally closed for special events, be sure and check our website calendar for the latest announcements.
The Visitor Center is also closed on: January 1, (New Year's Day), November 26(Thanksgiving Day), December 24 (Christmas Eve), December 25 (Christmas Day), andJanuary 31 (New Year's Eve).
The Great Lakes Maritime Heritage Center is a visitor center for the Thunder Bay National Marine Sanctuary, featuring exciting exhibits for all ages. Exploring the Shipwreck Century, is located in the center's main hall and includes a full-size replica wooden Great Lakes schooner and shipwreck where visitors can walk the decks, feel a Great Lakes storm, and touch the massive timbers of the boat resting on the lake bottom ... without getting wet!
The Great Lakes Maritime Heritage Center features:
- 9,000 square feet of immersive exhibits
- 93-seat theater showing films daily
- Archaeological conservation lab and shipwreck artifact gallery
- Innovative education space for special programs, meetings, and events
- Scientific research facilities, including a dive operations center
- Community boat-building center small watercraft workshop
- Outdoor access to the Great Lakes Maritime Heritage Trail and open-air picnic grounds
- Maritime Heritage Center Gift Shop
- Hosting approximately 60,000 visitors yearly, the Great Lakes Maritime Heritage Center is significantly increasing public awareness of maritime heritage resources in the Great Lakes.
The Center is also Gold LEED certified and the sanctuary's "green story" is told throughout the exhibits.
Be THUNDERSTRUCK, Come Visit Today!
Great Lakes Maritime
500 W. Fletcher Street
Alpena, MI 49707